Okay, so they're not all comic books. Some are sketchbooks, art collections, books of comic strips, and other anthologies me and my wife have collected, but for the moment it's 262 books. I counted them about 3 days ago, and I counted that I've actually read 152 of them cover to cover. So over the course of searching, buying, ordering and drooling over these books I've only read 58% of them. Barring one's I've had since I was a kid, I started gathering a big collection back in 2009; so over the course of 5 years, I've only read about half of what I've bought.
Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with this, it just is. When you live in a town where you don't have a lot to do, you tend to splurge as much as you can on the things you like. We're always going to keep more books than we can possibly read around, that's the nature of books. Some of them I'll fully admit I'll probably never read. Fables is a great series, but I don't think I'l ever read them all (let alone buy them all), so I content leaving them for my wife to enjoy. It's a side effect of the current age, there's so many great artists putting out so much good stuff, that trying to absorb everything would drive you mad.
On the opposite end, I have a lot of books that are terrible. I bought these knowing they were going to be terrible, but I spent good money anyways. I loved critiquing things for a while there and this was like fish in a barrel, but it wasn't good to do. Making fun of the Highlander comic is kicking a man while he's down and I don't need to be doing that anymore.
So I'm changing my ways. I'm reading good books while I have them, and trying not to stare or obsess over stories as they come out (IT'S GONNA BE THE BEST THING SINCE SHAKESPEARE!) and try to read the small stories I already have. One of the one's I just read was Lucy Kinsey's Relish, which is a fantastic book if you've never taken a look.
No comments:
Post a Comment